luni, 14 aprilie 2008

Gerrard Reveals Landmark Joy

GERRARD REVEALS LANDMARK JOY Paul Hassall 14 April 2008 Steven Gerrard admits the desire to win more trophies with Liverpool will continue to drive him on after he notched up yet another career landmark in the 3-1 victory over Blackburn Rovers. The Reds skipper fired home the opening goal of the game to mark his 300th league appearance for the club in style and while he was delighted to reach a third century of matches for the club, he is determined to go on and secure more glory in the years to come. "I wasn't really aware that this was my 300th league game until a couple of days ago so it was a really proud day for me," he said. "It only seems like a couple of days ago that I made my debut so I'm really proud to clock up that many appearances. "I love playing football and I love playing for this football club. I've still got a load of goals, a load of ambitions and stuff to achieve here and that's what drives me on. "Obviously, I'd love to win the league and win more trophies. "Playing with top players and being coached by a top manager – that also drives me on." The Reds moved five points clear of Everton with a hard-fought win over Mark Hughes' men and Gerrard admitted it was vital that they stepped up a gear in the second-half after Rovers had held the home side throughout a goalless first period. He said: "We expected a tough game, especially after the heroics of midweek and we were slightly flat in the first half. "It was all about being patient and waiting for the breakthrough and sometimes it doesn't happen until the second half and eventually it did. "It was a nice goal, a bit of good interplay and some nice passing around the box but the main thing was the relief that the goal came and we got a couple more after that." Rafael Benitez's side have been in irrepressible form of late and Gerrard believes the shock FA Cup defeat at home to Barnsley has been the catalyst for the run that has seen them surge into the last four of the Champions League and edge closer to securing fourth place in the league. "We are enjoying it at the moment," he said. "We have got through to the semi-finals of the Champions League and hopefully we can sew fourth place up on Saturday. "I think since Barnsley we have gone on a fantastic run. It was disappointing to lose against Manchester United when we went down to 10 men but hopefully we can continue the run now until the end of the season. "We are playing well, creating chances and it was a bit disappointing to concede a goal late on against Blackburn because I thought the back four and the keeper deserved a clean sheet."
__________________

Niciun comentariu: